Friday, August 21, 2009

Ms. Frizzle is a girl!

So, this is the first post by me, Sweetie. Mr. Life in TH says that I can post anytime I want, but I've noticed that he hasn't given me the password to his blogspot account... I think he's planning to maintain editorial control of this blog.

Anyway, I wanted to share a funny story about one of the Things and his view on gender:

Calvin came home from kindergarten one day and we were sitting on the couch in the living room, watching something on TV. He turned to me and said, “Mom, can boys turn into girls?” I was a bit startled by his questions -- I really wasn’t sure about where this was going! But I have learned not to panic at off-the-wall questions, but first to find out what they really want to know… I answered, “Well, not really.” Transgendered folks out there might balk at my response, but, you know, he was five years old. I didn’t think he was ready for a conversation about how sometimes one’s gender and anatomy don’t match. He looked at me, satisfied, and said, “I thought so. So Ms. Frizzle is a girl.” (Ms. Frizzle was his kindergarten teacher.) I made some noise about how, yes, Ms. Frizzle is a girl. Calvin continued, “She just has short hair.”

1 comment:

I-270, Exit 1 said...

Son 2 has the same black-and-white, 5 year-old reasoning about hair length and gender. So boys can turn into girls if they don't get haircuts, right?

Her name is Ms. Frizzle? For shizzle? (don't groan, you knew that was coming)