Friday, July 6, 2007

The Adventure Begins

We were able to include a few more 'lasts' in the last few days: last visit to Nina's, last day of playing with the neighborhood kids. We had a near tragedy when it looked like the rain was going to prevent us, (well, mostly Thing 1) from seeing fireworks on Independence Day, but the rain stopped and all was well again. So, for the kids anyway, it was an enjoyable last few days in Maryland.

After a hectic few days of packing, this morning Sweetie and the Things were packed in the car and are off to visit Grandma W (and all of Sweetie's other friends and relations). It's amazing how much there is to do when you're going on a cross-country trip with no plans to return. The day before was quite stressful with us trying to make sure we had everything packed for camping out, took plenty of clothes for the trip, and weren't overlooking anything we might need once we got to the island and before our household stuff arrives (which will probably not be for 6-8 weeks). We also were trying to figure out which things we could ship out. I have also been trying to get rid of some pieces of furniture (including a car) that we will not move with us, which meant following up on many emails and phone calls.

I went to sleep last night fretting about what still needed to be done before I left, and whether we would have a good vacation, and whether we would like living on the island, whether I would like my job, whether I would be successful at my job, etc, etc, etc. Finally I fell asleep and when I awoke, the fretting began anew. I am feeling better now (such thoughts always seem to be magnified late at night), especially since I got quite a few things accomplished today, but there is still much to do.

The other day, I actually caught myself getting excited about how much fun the vacation is going to be. That hadn't happened before with all the stress and anxiety of the trip and the move. Sweetie laughed when I told her. So an auspicious beginning, I think. News from the road today was that the boys were behaving and the car was behaving. I do hope they have a good visit on the farm. But for me it's errands to do before I leave, and errands to do before I leave (with apologies to Robert Frost).

No comments: