Saturday, July 11, 2009

Vacation 2009 - Day 1

Vacation started rather inauspiciously.

First off, I'm working on a grant that is due soon, so this is rather a sticky time to be away. So I worked half a day before we left the island. This turned out to be a bad idea, as we had a lot to do before we left, and we ended up in a big rush, which may have lead to our second problem.

We got down to the pier in plenty of time for our ferry, but I realized that I hadn't brought my hat. So with it seeming to take an endless amount of time to offload the ferry, I decided to run up to the house to get my it. Of course, 30 seconds after I left, they started loading the boat. I got back in plenty of time for us to load, but it was intimating annoyances to come.


So we're on the ferry, enjoying the thought that we're off on vacation, when Sweetie realizes, after a frantic search, that we don't have the envelope with the tickets for all the fun places we're going. She thinks it's in the office. In our frantic running about before leaving, neither of us thought about them. So a quick call to friends on the island occurs, and they kindly go and search our house and find the ticket envelope. Vacation saved! Now we just needed to link up with them and get them. Of course, that also had it's problems. Due to a mistaken set of assumptions, they ended up going way down to Long Beach while we were waiting in San Pedro, and we needed to get downtown to meet a friend of Sweetie's from college. So after a long drive, we finally found the obscure strip they were at and got the tickets. This sounds whiney, but we were actually very grateful to them for saving our vacation.

So then it was off to downtown. We met with N. (She and Sweetie had a great reunion, while the boys and I watched a movie in the hotel room.)

Sweetie was stressed that evening about the stressful start to our vacation, but I reasoned that, Garp-like, this just meant we got all the bad stuff out of the vacation on the first day, really before we started.

On to Legoland...

No comments: