Thursday, April 8, 2010

'Call me. Don't be afraid to just call me...'

I posted about the B&G dinner yesterday and forgot one of the best parts.

The B&G dinner was Monday night. Wednesday morning, when I got to work, I realized I didn't have my phone with me. At the time I didn't think anything about it - I knew I hadn't picked it up before I left for work. So when I got home, I looked around for it and couldn't find it. I had Lori call the number, but we didn't hear anything. Well, again, I didn't think too much of it; I figured it must be at work buried under some papers on my desk. So the next day I go in and thoroughly search my office to no avail. Well, now I'm puzzled and I'm trying to remember when was the last time I had it. I knew I had it at the B&G, so maybe, I thought, it's in the car. Again, no luck. I figured it would show up somewhere, so the waiting game began.

This was a bit of a pain, though. I hadn't realized how dependent on my cell phone I was becoming. I do have a phone at my desk at work, but it is not easy to make long distance calls on it, and our cell phones have Maryland numbers, so calling Sweetie is an ordeal. And we don't have a land line at the house.

The next day, Lori gets a call. It's a woman who has my phone, and the last number dialed was Lori's. She's calling from Carson. For those of you unfamiliar with southern California, Carson is not on Catalina. It's about 5 miles up the 110 from the port of LA. Lori takes her name and number and passes the info to me. I give the woman a call and ask where she found it and how it got to Carson. Turns out her family happened to be in Avalon on Monday and attended the Blue & Gold dinner. Her mother has a phone that looks very similar, and her younger sister mistook my phone for the mother's and picked it up. I guess they didn't realize the mistake until they got home. I thanked her for calling and said I'd call her back when I could pick it up.

I'm planning on going over on Monday and one of my many tasks will be to pick up my phone. My well-traveled phone. I don't think it misses me, but I sure miss it.

If anyone has gift suggestions for the good Samaritan woman who called me about my phone, post a comment.

3 comments:

KBN said...

Since you don't know this kind lady, you need something pretty generic like some nice flowers or a small fruit basket or a spring plant.

Bill Nelson said...

And in a happy note, I now have my phone back. The flowers I gave her were much appreciated.

Friday Morning Music said...

Too late, but I was going to suggest beer.