Monday, May 3, 2010

Goodbye green

Well, the brown creep has hit the island. The rainy season is over, and the plants, after a glorious flowering period are starting to die off. The grasses are going to seed and turning an attractive shade of gold, and patches of brown are springing up on the hillsides that were so recently emerald green.

The dust levels have picked up again, too. Driving once again engenders a large cloud of fine dust that coats the back of the truck, the plant life adjacent to the road, and anyone you happen to drive past.

We still have been having some stormy weather, but that consists of low pressure fronts kicking up the channel to uncrossable levels. We've had two such storms in the last month. Poor Sweetie had to make a crossing on a day when the ferry was almost canceled. (I think the passengers all wished it had been by the time they got here.)

In related turning of the seasons news, I recently needed to buy some new pants. I don't believe I will receive any sympathy from anyone, but I had to get rid of some pants I bought when I was a senior in college. They no longer fit in the waist. Alas, middle-age spread has finally arrived. (Sweetie was greatly amused by this, I should mention, while I accepted the situation with grace and dignity.) Apparently the kids still love me, and the cat still sits on my lap, but the young ladies no longer glance my direction. Okay, to be honest it's been some time since a young lady glanced in my direction unless I was shouting something like "Oh my God! I'm on fire!", but I digress.

I just hope I don't start going gray.

Peace out.

4 comments:

I-270, Exit 1 said...

Must have been that sandwich at Roy's Place. Buy pants with an elastic waist so you don't have this problem again.

Lori said...

I believe that Sweetie's response was to give you a withering look and then to feel a measure of schadenfreude when you lamented your inability to comfortably fasten the pants you bought 20 years ago.

KBN said...

But your hair does have flecks of grey!

KBN said...

My DH suggests you don't look in any mirrors.