Sunday, April 22, 2007

Exhaustion

So now we're a week away from a) putting our house on the market, and b) my last day at the JCVI. Today I spent the entire afternoon and evening painting the kitchen cabinets with primer. I didn't expect to be so utterly physically exhausted. After doing this for 3 1/2 hours, my arms and back were stiff, my shoulder was clenched and throbbing, and my legs were tired. I sat down on the couch and slept through (for the second time) Bionicles 3: Web of Shadows (which is utterly fascinating if you're six). Then after dinner it was back to painting, until, well, now.

Now I just want everyone to know that I hate painting. Sweetie says she doesn't mind painting because you get instant gratification of seeing what work you've accomplished, and instant feedback as to whether you like the result or not. I just think to myself "there must be something better I could be doing with my time." But the primer is on now for all the doors, and the frames, and some of the drawers. The weather has finally started cooperating, so we should be able to get this done in the next few days. (Hopefully two.)

So, things we need to finish this week: get the painters to paint the kitchen; schedule a powerwashing of the house; finish the boys bathroom; paint the vanity in our bathroom; clean, declutter and clean; try to schedule roofers to look at the new-or-relocated leak in the family room ceiling; oh, and we should try to go to work, too.

Speaking of work, my team is holding a lunch in my honor on Tuesday, and a happy hour at a local drinking establishment on Friday. It's a bit embarrassing to be approached about having these things, but I figure I've been working there 8 1/2 years, people (myself included) want some closure, so be gracious. (Brief glance inside my psyche: my brain keeps putting together speeches that include the phrases "I hope I haven't disappointed you all too badly in my time here," and "I like to think I've done more good than harm." Perhaps they won't ask me to say anything...) It will be hard to lose those daily connections I've made, and even harder to adjust to a work environment that doesn't include the tools I've come to depend on. But I'm sure I'll wax sentimental more in later posts this week.

A large glass of bourbon awaits me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't worry about the speech. I think the only thing they will ask you to do is to keep them in mind when you hear of job openings :-). Congrats on the long overdue move. I'm very intrigued by this island living thing and can't wait to check it out in person.